Student Corner - Board of Education
What is the Board of Education
We are five community members who are elected to help the school district (our school district is FPBS & JLCS)
We are not paid; we are volunteers
Grown ups from Bellerose Terrace, Bellerose Village & Floral Park vote for the Board of Education
We serve for three years at a time
To run for the Board of Ed, someone must at least 18 years old, a citizen of the United States and live in our school community for at least thirty days
What does the Board of Education do?
We help take care of you, your teachers & all the staff in your school, and our community
Two of our biggest jobs are
We meet and vote in public so you or anyone can watch and listen
We act through resolution, that means we talk and then we vote—majority wins (3 or more)
We answer questions from our community about our school district
- Setting policy (the rules we are expected to follow at school)
- Setting curriculum (what you learn at school)
Like you, we have homework
- After our meetings we save time to hear from our community member
We love to visit the schools—seeing all of you students is what makes volunteering our time worthwhile.
- Every new board member takes a class to learn what the Board of Education is all about and how the local board of education works with local government and the state of New York
- Board members who have been serving a while are consistently offered classes, called workshops or conferences, to go to and learn more about the world of education and how to keep helping kids
Click here for the JLCS Coloring Page
Click here for the FPBS Coloring Page
Thanks for visiting our page.